Assuming you’d like the human species to survive and that you understand the threat posed by large space rocks which might hit the Earth, here are ten strategies to avoiding an asteroid obliteration.
1. Early detection: Investing heavily in asteroid detection programs and telescopes. Early detection would give scientists ample time to plan and implement mitigation strategies.
2. Diverting the asteroid: Diverting an asteroid requires enough force to change its trajectory. It can be done using kinetic impactors, gravity tractors, or other advanced technologies.
3. Nudging the asteroid: Nudging an asteroid using the gravity of other celestial bodies may change its trajectory. However, this requires a lot of planning and an accurate understanding of the asteroid’s trajectory.
4. Building missiles: Building missiles that can divert or destroy asteroids is another option. The missiles should be powerful enough to destroy or deflect the asteroid.
5. Laser technology: Lasers could be used to alter the asteroid’s course. This would involve using solar energy to power a laser and then directing the laser at the asteroid to deflect it.
6. Nuclear detonation: Nuclear detonations could be used to slow down or destroy an asteroid. However, this must be done very carefully as the debris could fall on earth causing more destruction.
7. Using gravitational forces: Planets and satellites can be used to change the asteroid’s trajectory by harnessing the gravitational forces.
8. Developing asteroid mining technology: Despite the huge risks of an incoming asteroid, asteroid mining technology can be harnessed to redirect the asteroid.
9. International cooperation: An asteroid impact affects the whole planet, so international cooperation is essential in detecting and deflecting asteroids.
10. Investing in Space Colonization: Investing in space colonization is critical in the event of an asteroid impact. Colonies in space provide a place for humans to retreat to in the face of such an event.
Is there an important method we’ve missed?